Oh, you Blog? That’s cute. An Intro to my free Blogging as a Creative Business e-Course, plus five ways to get the most out of the free lessons.
Note: When I was creating this as a paid e-course, this was the intro I had written. Some of you may have read the first part, but I didn’t want people who come just for the free lessons to miss the intro and five tips for getting the most out of the now free e-course!
Oh, you Blog? That’s cute.
Hi, I’m Dawn, a 30-something military spouse with three kids who works full-time from home as a blogger and artist.
This is how most conversations about what I do go:
Person: “Oh you work? I had no idea! What do you do?”
Me: “I’m a full-time blogger and artist.”
Person: Cocks head to one site and smiles awkwardly while saying “Ah…Oh! That’s cool.”
What I’m hearing is more of an “Oh, you blog? That’s cute.” kind of vibe.
I’m not offended by it in the slightest and, in fact, in some ways, it amuses me. Most people do not know that “Professional Blogging” is a legit job. Once they hear it is, they’re super curious about how you make money doing it.
I make far more money now than I ever made in my corporate HR job. The past few years of blogging, I’ve been bringing in over six figures. But more importantly, I have a career I love. Mondays are my favorite. I can’t wait to wake up and get to work.
Blogging is fun work, but hard work
Because I get so many requests about how I’ve created a successful creative online business, I finally decided to write this course.
Listen, y’all. I’m an introvert. I am not comfortable being sales-y. I tend to make decisions more with my heart than my head. These are not necessarily the typical traits of successful entrepreneurs. But I’m also smart, business savvy, driven, and insanely punctual. There are certainly many artists out there more talented than I. But you’d be hard-pressed to find many people that are willing to put in all the hard work it takes to follow their dreams. I’m a person who is willing to put in that hard work.
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” ~Stephen King
You must be willing to put in the work to reap the rewards. Blogging is hard work. And a lot of it. You have to wear a lot of hats, be extremely organized, and really love what you do.
Blogging as a business, at its core, is a lot of heart and a whole lotta hustle.
At the end of the day, working for yourself is as good as it gets. So if this free e-course helps even one person create their dream job, then it was worth all the many, many hours I put into it.
While there are a million resources on blogging as a business out there, these lessons will focus on the ones I actually use. Write what you know and all.
Everything I do is based on having my blog set up on WordPress.org (self-hosted). To set yourself up for success with blogging as a creative business, WordPress is where it’s at!
Five Ways to Get the Most out of the Free Lessons
- You don’t have to do everything at once. In fact, you shouldn’t. Pick a few things each day/month/quarter to focus on. Small changes add up to big results. You can’t do too much at one time and do it well. Start small and work with intention.
- Find a blogging BFF. Working as a blogger can be lonely and isolating when no one gets the challenges you face. Connecting with another blogger does wonders for your morale. Having someone to vent to, bounce ideas off, etc will really help you get through the highs and lows of blogging as a business.
- For support and group mentorship, join my Blogging as a Creative Business Facebook Group.
- Use the Blog Planner Printable pages (that will be coming along with the lessons).
- Realize that success doesn’t come overnight. It can take years to find it and it’s an ongoing process. The hard work doesn’t stop once “you’ve arrived”. You keep showing up and you keep putting in the work each day!
Are you ready to put in the work it takes to make your dream job a reality?
If the answer is yes, let’s dive in!
Before you know it, someone will be saying “Oh, you Blog? That’s cute.” to you too.
CONNECT WITH ME
With Heart + Hustle,