Best Ever Slow Cooker Chipotle Chili. This smoky award-winning chili has a hint of sweet heat that’ll leave you craving a second bowl!
Best Ever Slow Cooker Chipotle Chili
My husband came up with this recipe on the fly about ten years ago for a Chili Cook-Off at his Air Force Squadron. It ended up winning an award that day, and we’ve been making it ever since! It makes the house smell so good that you’ll be looking forward to dinner all day.
I love, love, love the texture and color the addition of the corn and hominy add to this dish. If hominy is new to you, it’s typically found in the canned goods aisle right alongside the corn. Hands-down, this is my favorite chili.
This is one of our go-to meals to serve when we’re hosting company. Since it’s largely ready ahead of time, you won’t be rushing around and can enjoy spending time with your guests.
You can even set up a DIY Chili Bar with a ton of topping options!
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Greek Yogurt. I use Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream for darn near everything!
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cornbread. We served ours with gluten-free cornbread.
- Crunched Up Tortilla Chips
LEFTOVER + Serving IDEAS
This smoky chili has a hint of sweet heat that always leaves me craving a second bowl! But if you have leftovers, here are some of the ways we make sure not one bite goes to waste.
- Freeze it! This chili freezes well, so sometimes I often make a double batch and freeze half.
- Boil some pasta for easy Chili Mac. It’s so yummy over some (gluten-free) macaroni or penne noodles.
- Smoky Chipotle Chili Dogs for the win. Every now and then, you just need a good hot dog!
- Grab and Go Frito Pies. Cut open mini bags of classic Fritos lengthwise. Top with pre-heated leftover chili and shredded cheese.
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes. One of my favorite ways to eat the leftovers is to ladle it over baked and halved sweet potatoes.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
- If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container in the fridge. Chili will keep for 3-4 days. As with many slow cooker recipes, it is even more flavorful the day after!
- As I mentioned, chili freezes fabulously. Store in a freezer-friendly airtight container. The flavor is best if eaten within 3-4 months. Once thawed, enjoy within 3-4 days.
- Gluten-Free. This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free. The chili is dairy-free but just be sure to choose non-dairy toppings.
- 2 lb ground beef (or 1 lb each ground beef and pork)
- 1 Sweet Onion, Diced
- 1 can (22 oz) BUSH’S Bourbon and Brown Sugar Grillin’ Beans
- 2 cans (10 oz) Ro*tel Diced Tomatoes and Chilies
- 1 can (15 oz) black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) hominy, drained
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or honey
- Heat 1 TBSP cooking oil of your choice in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent and beginning to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Drain, then transfer the beef and onion mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beans, corn, hominy, and honey.
- From the canned chipotle in adobo: Finely dice one chipotle. Add the diced chipotle and 2-4 TBSP of the adobo sauce to the slow cooker.*
- Cook on low 8-10 hours in the slow cooker.
- Top as desired and enjoy!
*Reserve the remaining chipotle in adobo to add more to taste if desired. We do a taste test about 4 hours into the cooking process and add more if we want more heat. The hubby often adds a second diced chipotle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 488Total Fat 9.1gSaturated Fat 2.7gCholesterol 81mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 71.6gFiber 11.4gSugar 24.1gProtein 38.1g
Nutrition information will vary depending on servings size and ingredients used. Any variations or toppings added will add additional calories.
We hope you enjoy our Best Ever Slow Cooker Chipotle Chili!